Rules & Regulations
- Drive on the right side of the road.
- Seat belts must be worn by all occupants of the vehicle.
- Children under the age of 3 or less than 150 cm tall must use the appropriate child seat.
- Children over 150 cm may travel without the child seat but in the back.
- Use of mobile phones while driving is forbidden unless you have a hands free set.
- It is obligatory to buy and display a valid ‘vignette’ (sticker) to drive on motorways and main roads outside towns. You do not need to print the e-vignette. Authorities will accept electronic evidence.
- The legal blood alcohol content limit is 0.5 mg.
- All vehicles must drive with their headlights on, even in the daytime.
- Winter tires are required when driving during the wintertime. Snow chains are permitted. Their use can become compulsory according to road conditions, in which case this is indicated by the international road sign.
- 50 km/h (30 mph) inside the city limits
- 90 km/h (55 mph) outside cities
- 140 km/h (85 mph) on motorways unless indicated otherwise.
The number 112 can be dialed to reach emergency services – medical, fire and police – from anywhere in Europe. This emergency number can be called from any telephone (landline, pay phone or mobile cellular phone). Calls are free.
Check your liabilities
Using the following link, you can check liabilities under tickets and penal decrees, and make a payment.